Monday, November 1, 2010

Asthenopia


Do you ever do a double take when you hear something in a commercial that you’re not quite sure you heard correctly? I recently heard the phrase “vision fatigue.” That perked up my theological ears because it seems that God’s people have suffered from a lot of things but “vision fatigue” is not one of them… maybe, “vision failure” or “vision over analyzing” and of course the dreaded “vision by committee” but certainly not “vision fatigue!” Now, don’t get me wrong, I understand that I’m being a little harsh (and a lot tongue and cheek) but the old preacher line from the King James translation of Proverbs 29:18 “Where there is no vision, the people perish…” may be an exegetical stretch but never-the-less a true statement. The church must have vision, an indefatigable vision that rests in God’s providence and relies on the Spirit’s lead. The medical term for vision fatigue or eye strain is asthenopia (literally in the Greek –weak eyes). The church must have strong, clear resolute vision that keeps it pressing toward the goal which God has called it “heavenward in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:13, 14).”

When my first child came into this world I was not only proud, thankful and hopeful but I wanted her to know the Lord so I lobbied for biblical names. I liked the sound of Leah Michal McQuiddy. It worked! She loves the Lord and serves His kingdom but unfortunately she early on learned the history of Leah, Jacob’s less than favored wife and Michal, David’s less than favored wife. But what really boils her grits (I’m not sure that’s a saying, I think I just made it up) is that Leah is Hebrew for “weak” and specifically Genesis 29:17 asserts that it is a reference to weak eyes… asthenopia, vision fatigue! Leah has grown to love her name but not the “weak eyes” implication because she is a woman of God with vision!

So, here’s how this all shakes out (I’m pretty sure that’s a saying)… the church, individuals, communities and all on a journey need to keep their eyes on the destination. They need to stay not just focused but alert to those things that can slowly blur their vision. One large group of individuals who suffer from “vision fatigue” is professional drivers who spend a great deal of time focused on the road. Yes, the truck driver secret is to not keep your eyes on one spot but to scan your entire surroundings while keeping the wheels headed in the right direction. So, keep your eyes on Jesus but see Jesus and the need for Jesus in your entire surroundings. Now, that’s a vision that doesn’t suffer fatigue! …And Leah, sorry about the weak eyes thing! -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgive you! :)