Monday, October 25, 2010

I'll Never Know


Last Sunday as we were driving down Douglas Boulevard we found ourselves behind a young lady driving and singing and obviously moved by what was silent to us but electric to her. Her body swayed with the rhythm and occasionally she would raise one hand in the air waving it side to side. I mused to Pam, “I wonder if she is praising God?” I quickly scanned her four wheeled church building looking for signs that would tip me off but I found not one bumper sticker or fish symbol to help me out. Now I’ll never know whether this was a child of God caught up in the ecstasy of praise or someone just bopping to the beat. It was Sunday… I think I’ll just assume that she was praising God!

Yes, I know… I’ll never know! But there is much in this life, in this world, in God’s world that I’ll never know. I’ll never know why Judas had to betray Jesus with a kiss… Michael Card is right, “That’s not what a kiss is for.” I’ll never know if God with a wry smile gave Adam a belly button just because He knew we would ask. I’ll never know why innocent little babies have to suffer with deformities, illnesses and handicaps. I’ll never know why the Bible seems silent about things that seem so important. I’ll never know why God thought flies was such a good idea. I’ll never know why the apostle Paul took a vow that ended with animal sacrifice when he was adamant that the ceremonial law was nailed to the cross. I’ll never know if the Holy Spirit is leading me or if I’ve just convinced myself that God would like things the way I would like them. And to be honest my “I’ll never know” list is an ever growing thing that sometimes leaves me sick with doubt and sometimes reaffirms my faith and sometimes sparks my imagination… but always leaves me with this doxology: “Now we see but a poor reflection; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known (1 Corinthians 13:12).”

So, “I’ll never know” should be corrected to “someday I’ll know.” For now… I’ll look on the bright side of life! So, praise away my young Douglas driver lady. -DAN

No comments: