Monday, November 15, 2010

Love The Look


Recently, Sylvia Garza reported one of those I’m-thrilled-to-be-a-mom moments on Facebook. Lizzie tugged at her heart when she proclaimed to Sylvia about her sister Katie, “I just love the look of her!” I can just hear the song from “White Christmas” with Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen singing, “Sisters, sisters, sisters, there were never such devoted sisters… Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister.” O, don’t get me wrong I’m pretty sure that Lizzie and Katie will have some knock down drag out fights ahead of them as well as some tug of wars over clothes, boys and car keys but I have no doubt that they will be a close loving duo that will always have each other’s back. And no doubt they’ll love the look of each other!

The early church was maligned as cannibalistic incestuous insurrectionists because outsiders didn’t understand the symbolism of the Lord’s Supper, the spiritual ties of being brothers and sisters in Christ and their ardent devotion to Jesus as Lord. Outsiders were often confused but inside the family of God brothers and sisters loved the look of one another. Because they knew where the look came from… “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:18).” Yes, Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sisters and brothers in Christ!

Paul puts it this way to a Roman church that he had not even yet visited, “Be devoted to one another in brotherly (and yes, sisterly) love. Honor one another above yourselves (Romans 12:10).” That is, love the look of one another! A look with patience when you would like to twist off their stubborn thick head… A look with care when you know they’re hurting… A look with encouragement when you know their struggle… A look of pride when you see their passion and compassion… A look with joy when you join together in the battle… A look of satisfaction when you see in one another the glory of our King and you love one another with the love of the Lord!

I said all of that to say this… I love the look of you! You make me glad that I’m a follower of Christ and rest in the company of those who want to be like Him! -DAN

No comments: