Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mercy Triumphs


Scripture says, “because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment (James 2:13)!” The context of James axiom is an expose against favoritism in which he exposes how the rich congregants are treated with special favor while the poor are marginalized and discriminated against. James reminds his audience that true riches are not in material goods but rather in the promised inheritance of the kingdom of God. Such wealth as Jesus taught cannot be stolen, tarnished or perish with time or use. Additionally, the reality was that many who controlled the wealth were enemies of the church slandering the good name of Christ. Brothers and Sisters should therefore have the utmost care for one another and allow mercy to triumph over judgment!
When I was a teenager I had a steady girlfriend that I often walked to class at school. Fueled like most teens with supercharged hormones and with the excuse that my girlfriend was not feeling well, I gave her a rather lingering kiss before she went to class. The teacher saw this school violation and reported it to the principal. We were called to the office and told letters would be sent to our parents the following day. So, we agreed to stay home sick the next day and intercept the letters. I did so. She did not. Her parents called mine and I had to confess to stealing the letter. I braced myself for the wrath of God delivered via my father but instead he put his arm around me and consoled me about the injustice of school rules and then grounded me for my dishonesty in stealing his mail and assured me it was a federal crime. Mercy triumphed over judgment!
Later, I found out that my Dad had been quite the kissing bandit in High School and that obviously tempered his judgment. God’s mercy is predicated on compassion while often man’s mercy is spurned by a realization that we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Our hearts are soften by the reality that failure and sin are the common grounds we all find ourselves cast upon. None of us is willing to cast the first stone. All of us have known the poverty of the soul as well as the riches. We are in this boat together. So, let mercy rule the day and we’ll leave judgment to the one who knows the hearts of men. For the church this is a challenge to be fully aware of how we treat one another as well as strangers. I have no doubt we will slip here and there but I pray that what persists is a loving spirit that favors no one and exalts all! -DAN
P.S. The picture is of my Dad... O, yes -that's a kissing bandit if I ever saw one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I have a copy of the picture?