Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Random


As a lifetime victim of ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) I liked it better when we were called day dreamers. Being distracted from daily tasks by a dream almost sounds biblical where deficit disorder sounds like there’s a short in my wiring. I’d like to think of my ADD more as single minded (again more biblical sounding) as opposed to task driven. That is, I find following the rabbit down the hole much more entertaining than staying on the path. Alice and I are often treated to a world beyond the looking glass that offers new insights. I know for those who are dedicated to well worn paths our tendency to run in different directions is not only frustrating but perceived to be random wandering and less than productive. Truth is, that often that is the case but none-the-less there are times that random thoughts and the road less traveled open up new worlds of adventure and blessings. Now, I’m not abandoning staying on task or the Pauline avocation to let all things be done decently and in order… but I am suggesting that freeing the body, soul and mind to follow some random thinking, praying and acting might be a healthy thing to do from time to time.

So, here are some random thoughts… Worry more about inviting people inside the church doors than about if the church doors get locked. “Do this in remembrance of me” is much broader than the events of the cross. Heaven is more heavenly when pearly gates and golden streets lead not to a mansion but a place at the table of the Lord. The Holy Spirit settles for nothing less than a temple to dwell in so clean up, straighten up and open up what’s between your temples. If God is love (and He IS) then godliness is not about cleanliness –it’s about loving. Church is about coming together not just assembling… it’s togetherness in heart, purpose and care. If you don’t like the way something is being done spend more time thinking about how I can help than you do on whom I can blame. I think opportunity knocks all the time. Try your best not to be an oxymoron. Always be the voice of love and kindness. Let the name of Jesus always put a smile on your face and warmth in your heart. Finally, all that you do in word or in deed do in the name of the Lord Jesus!

Wouldn’t it be random if R.A.N.D.O.M. was an acronym? If it was I think it would be Remember And Never Doubt Our Maker! Of course, that’s the random thinking of a random preacher. -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that you have Payden's picture with that article. I don't know if you meant it this way, but if he has any McQuiddy trait it's the "random thoughts" gene!