Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Calling Mom


In a recent Comcast commercial we are exposed to an array of international moms receiving phone calls from their grown children. Mom receives a call, says grown child’s name and then passes out flat on the floor with the phone still pressed to her ear. Surprise mom with a call this Mother’s Day is the voice over. Every time I see the commercial it tugs at my heart and I softly moan, I sure wish that I could and then I whisper a little prayer of thanks for heaven holding my mom secure in its arms of love and joy until we are reunited! Like many of you who have moms who have gone on… I miss my mom.

Now, I’m all about the enthralling expectation of heaven’s pearly gates open wide to usher in even the likes of me into eternal bliss… but I’m worried about how mom is going to greet me! Let me explain to those of you who don’t know about my musical graveside gaffe. When mom passed away at my sister’s in the Los Angeles area we had a funeral service there but brought her body up to Modesto to be buried beside my father. Consequently it was just my siblings and a few close friends that gathered at her graveside. We had nothing planned… just to be together and to say goodbye to the greatest mom that ever filled a frayed housecoat while spending mornings reading her bible. My oldest sister looked at me with that you’re the clergy amongst us look and said, “We should sing something.” Now, I don’t know if you have ever had brain lock before where you’re not even sure what your own name is but for the life of me I couldn’t remember one church song (Yes, not even Amazing Grace)! The only song that I could think of because my daughter had given me an Oscar Meyer Wiener mobile for Christmas was “I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Wiener” song. So, we sang a rousing heartfelt, tear filled, wishing we were wieners song before tossing yellow roses into mom’s grave. Boy am I going to get it when I get to heaven!

With that said… I still wish that I could call my mom on mother’s day! So, instead I’ll say a silent prayer of thanksgiving for being blessed with such a loving spiritual mentor and gentle spirit who filled my life with the love of God. Children rise up and call mom blessed (Proverbs 31:28)!

No comments: