Monday, April 28, 2008

O, My God!

When my children were young and we would encounter profanity either in the media, movies or neighborhood I would quickly respond in a teaching moment to say, “We don’t use that kind of language.” I would go on in my best here comes a lecture from Dad voice to reinforce that profanity from the vile to the air headed, “O, my God!” –was a sign of either ignorance or laziness. I protested that individuals who have a command of the English language are able to express and articulate their thoughts and feelings without resorting to common and vulgar speech. Besides it’s much more fun to fire back at the enemy with calling them incompetent knuckle dragging Cretans than to use profanity or hand gestures. And to be perfectly frank most profanity makes very little sense and certainly doesn’t distinguish one as the sharpest pencil in the box. My protest has suffered from time to time with a society that has entrenched itself in the first amendment right to free speech. With total disregard for the intent of the founding fathers, the powers that be have upheld that one can spout any venom they please, view any prurient image their heart lusts for and malign anyone with the most crass tirade that decent moms would call potty mouth. Unfortunately many of the patrons of this profanity are notable individuals from professors to politicians.

So, where do we draw the line or do we refuse to give in at all. My father refused to let my brother participate in his third grade play because they sang the lyrics, “Zoom, golly, golly, golly, zoom, golly goll.” Dad explained that “golly” was just a euphemism for God and it would be wrong to use His name in vain. My brother compromised and sang bally. We were confused later on when my Dad would laugh at Jim Nabors as Gomer Pyle saying, “Golllllleeeeee!” But here is what I’m not confused about and where I think we need to stand… the name of the divine is precious and sacred and must never be used in frivolous or vulgar ways. The only “My God!” that should pass our lips needs to be the Thomas type that acclaims the sovereignty of our Lord (John 20:28).

One of our greatest blessings is to know that God is OUR God! He watches over us and has graciously provided for us eternal life through His Son. O, yes… He is MY God and in Him I live, move and have my very being! I’m proud to be His son and will do my best to never take it for granted or to defame His name in any way! -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is.... son of a motherless goat!