Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dated

I often get mail that says, “Dated Material.” Apparently, if I do not open these treasure troves of information they will become useless and obsolete. When I watch HGTV with Pam the various programs go on and on about how dated this kitchen is, that bathroom is and those hideous paneled walls are. If that isn’t enough I look at my office walls and I see wedding pictures and family pictures and I realize how dated they are. I have pictures with people who have passed on and little guys that have grown up to be adults. I guess all this means that I’m dated. Hopefully I have not become useless and outmoded… just dated. I concur with my father who would say, “I may be getting older but that sure beats the alternative!”

So, here’s my top ten reasons why being dated isn’t all bad: 1) With age hopefully comes wisdom and if not wisdom then the benefit of the doubt; 2) A dated life reveals in scars, wrinkles and the defoliation of the cranial dome, that there’s been some living, working, thinking and weathered storms; 3) Time passed hopefully seasons the wood so that it is valuable for the comfort of others; 4) Time traveled reveals which paths have led to higher ground and which paths have meandered off into tangled growth and unstable ground; 5) A dated soul may wonder what the expiration date may be but is sure that it is as fresh as when first packaged; 6) The winds of the past often refresh the present lifeless lull; 7) Twinkle takes some time to build up in a real star; 8) Love is a forest rich with old growth trees; 9) to date –it’s never wise to make fun of a bald headed prophet (cf. 2 Kings 2:23-25); and 10) every tick gets its tock but not every tock wants a tick!

At the ripe old age of almost 56 it may seem a little premature to be speaking of being dated. However, I know that my kids think I’m ancient and well acquainted with the dinosaurs by name. Whatever reality might be… I know that time is something that everyone, no matter his or her age or disposition, should embrace every moment of every day. This is more than carpe diem –it is looking for opportunity and prospect to serve God and man (cf. Colossians 4:2-6). -DAN

No comments: