Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Shacking Up

Yes, I think everyone should consider shacking up! No, I don’t think living together without the sanction and blessing of marriage should even be considered. What I think everyone should investigate is William P. Young’s book, “The Shack.” At the recent Elder-Link Seminar hosted by the Cordova congregation, Rubel Shelley, gave such a glorious review of this book that someone left his class to purchase one of the fifteen copies of the book they had available. The writer of the “Message,” Eugene Peterson, says, “This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress did for his. It’s that good!” Having read it… I believe that what Peterson means by “that good!” is that through story Young is able to make theology come to life as he takes you on a journey of tears, laughter and spiritual exultation. Yes, it’s that good!

Now here’s what I think you are thinking… “Dan, don’t build it up that much because my expectations will be too high and I’ll be disappointed!” Okay, here’s the deal I’ll make with you… if you promise to read it with an open heart and you feel like you wasted your money –I’ll buy it from you! Yes, it’s that good!

I don’t want to spoil the book for anybody so I’m not going to comment on what new insights you might experience on how you understand God or your place in time and space… I’ll leave that journey to you. But when you’ve made the journey –let’s talk!

Now, do I think this book must be read for soul survival or faith assurance? No, it’s not the Bible nor is it the greatest fiction book ever written. It is quite honestly a spiritual journey that I’m glad I traveled and believe that others will be blessed by the journey as well. Maybe I’ll see you on the road? -DAN

1 comment:

Coach T said...

apparently this is quite the popular book. Mike Cope wrote about it on his blog as well (http://preachermike.com/2008/02/04/drivenness-giants-the-shack-emmaus), so I added it to my goodreads. I promise i'll read it. . . at some point (in 2008). :)