Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Passing Out

Among those that I count as dearest of friends are Jo and Bob Barker. We were in preaching school together and have stayed in contact through the years sharing both the good and the bad times. My kids call them Aunt Jo and Uncle Bob. Pam and I make sure that we get our Bob and Jo fix from time to time (but never often enough). Recently, we went out to eat with them and to their home to play hand and foot (our preferred card game). Bob has had asthma for a lifetime but has progressed to having oxygen all the time. It doesn’t slow him down one bit though. However, during our card game Bob had a coughing fit and began to pass out falling toward Pam. With her help and the rest of us we caught him and he snapped out of it. Pam’s eyes were as big as saucers (okay, tiny saucers but big tiny saucers)! Jo calmed Pam with recounting that Bob had done this to her on their second date. I had seen it once during preaching school and felt for Pam but remembered that Jo had calmed me then by her composed demeanor and instructive words, “It’s okay, once he passes out his body calms down and he’s okay.”

Bob then related to us that it had happened once at church and that all the members had gathered around him crying out, “Bob we love you!” Bob said, “It was at once both embarrassing and comforting.” That’s why I love Bob Barker… Oh, he’s human enough to be embarrassed but rises above it all to know the love of others and His God. The breath of life may fail him from time to time but the breath of Heaven, the Spirit of God never fails him.

Since that night I’ve been thinking that maybe I need to pass out more. No, I don’t mean literally but rather to let go of the struggles that I’m sure I must conquer and to let God straighten out my breathing. Yes, I know that let go and let God can be over used and trite but I also know that my worst enemy is myself. I know that life has always proved to be better and more bountiful when I’ve conceded to God’s will and rested in the shadow of His wings. Finding God in those quiet whispers of life requires one to be still and know that He is God! It’s not about how hard we can fight or what noise we can make but what voice we can hear. So, take Bob’s advice/example when the struggle is too great –pass out… maybe then God can breathe new life into you! -DAN

No comments: