Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Have No Faith In Dan McQuiddy

This is an article written for our bulletin by my good friend and brother in Christ, Mike Garza.

Yep, you read that right. I have ZERO faith in Dan McQuiddy. Nothing personal, I just think the word “faith” gets tossed around a little too freely these days. One of the definitions given for the word faith is “Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.” In a world filled with broken promises, broken marriage vows and decaying values I wonder how many people really understand what the word entails.

For me, faith is something deeper than trust in my fellow man. Faith is something that I reserve for my trust in God. I have faith that God loves me. I have faith that God believes in me and strengthens me every day. I have faith that Christ died for my sins and has cleansed my soul. I don’t have faith in anything else.

Now before I dig myself any deeper than I already have allow me to say this: I have the utmost CONFIDENCE in Dan McQuiddy. When he gets up in front of the congregation every week I know that I am about to witness a man become a conduit for the Lord. I know I am about to hear something that I haven’t heard before. I know I’m probably going to hear a joke or two and there is a good chance that those jokes might even be funny! Dan is an amazing guy and someday in the not-so-distant future when he and Pam drive off into the Oregon sunset to a well earned retirement there is going to be a big set of shoes to fill. As far as ministers, people and friends go I have total confidence in Dan McQuiddy.

My reason for not placing my faith in humanity is based on the fact that it’s a poor investment. Man is flawed. Man is greedy. Man is deceptive. These are three things you can never accuse God of being. When taking all of these factors into account it doesn’t make sense to place my faith on anything less than a sure bet. Faith placed in Christ will repay itself with eternal life. Faith placed in man will only result in disappointment. How will you invest your faith? -Mike Garza

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After last nights debate, I needed to be reminded of where my faith is. I get really uneasy about where our country is headed if I forget who's really running it! Like Huckabee said, "Jesus was too smart to run for office." And too moral, and too kind, AND what does that say about the remainging Republican candidates???? Good thing we have God in control of our lives, so we don't have to put our faith in flawed men. Great article!
-Leah