Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'll Have Those Scrambled

My favorite serving of humble pie is the one that comes with the big scoop of, “Duh!” Recently, Pam and I decided to take advantage of the International House of Pancake’s generous offer to eat all the pancakes we could. Now, I know that neither of us is about to teenage up and attempt some stomach-stuffing marathon to eat our way to fame and cardiac arrest. However, we would enjoy the option to flap a few Jacks. Now, to order this carbgantuous (aka pancaker) feast you must add it to an order of eggs or eggs and assorted breakfast meats. Fully aware of counteracting the carb factor I asked if they had an egg substitute. Cheerfully I was assured they had eggbeaters to which I responded still in egg mode, “I’ll have those scrambled.” The waiter somewhere between rolling his eyes and stifling a giggle was distracted by my lovely wife who was beaming with her usual I love it when he makes a mistake grin. Feeling their Duh! …That’s the only way you can cook them gaze, I quickly responded with, “Yes, I know that’s the only way you can cook them… and yes, I’ll have that large piece of humble pie, with a scoop of Duh!” I’m just glad I could entertain them.

Here’s the rub… I now find this quite humorous. In the moment, I found it embarrassing and frustrating to which I became quite defensive and momentarily upset. Humility is difficult but important ballast for our lives. In fact, it is consistently equated in Scripture with having the mind of Christ (cf. Philippians 2:5-8). Both James and Peter (James 4:5-10; 1 Peter 5:5-7) quote Proverbs 3:34, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” These inspired writers knew personally that God continues His good work in each of us by humbling us again and again. It may be as benign as miss speaking or as invasive as chronic sins but the end result is that what God is looking for is not the perfection of our actions but rather the perfection of our attitude. I believe that is what Paul means when he challenges us with, “…offer yourselves as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God –which is your spiritual worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind… (Romans 12:1,2).” An willing and humble spirit will be led by the Spirit of God to renew daily a mind that longs for God’s will to be proved and seen in transformation.

So humble yourself in the sight of the Lord… and He will lift you up scrambled eggbeaters and all! -DAN

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can make an omlette with them too... :)

Coach T said...

a certain Bill Engvall song is coming to mind. . . :)

Anonymous said...

Can I have a copy of some of those old pics of Grandpa and Granny?