Monday, February 28, 2011

Happy


While driving into work recently I noticed that the welcome sign of the Ester Lee motel was obviously in transition… it simply read, “Happy…” I’m sure it was either saying goodbye to a happy birthday, anniversary or similar occasion or getting ready for such. But all it said was… Happy. I was very “happy” to receive that message and under my breath said, “Thank you Linda and Paul for starting my day off so well… I think I will take your advice and be happy today!” And if by this point you haven’t found yourself humming “Don’t Worry Be Happy,” I’d be surprised. Worries set aside a day of happiness is a golden opportunity to not just feel good but to be productive and share the wealth of positive energy. Yes, we all like a “happy” day!

The apostle Paul in a sense leaves a happy sign for the church in Philippi. Well, at least he keeps coming back to the word “rejoice!” The verse that may come to mind for you is in chapter 4 and verse 4 where he exhorts, “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” But what follows is the most revealing about the secret of happiness and a life that rejoices. Paul tells the church “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether will-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:11-13).” Happiness is a choice not a result of perfect conditions void of any conflict, stress or consternation. Happy is a place we create with being content because we believe that our strength is in Jesus and nothing else! Because that is so and because we believe that nothing can separate us from the love of God then we are at rest (happy) where ever we might find ourselves.

Paul certainly illustrated with his life the value of this secret to contentment. Remember in Acts 16 when Paul and Silas are thrown into prison? They had been beaten, shackled and cast into an inner cell most certainly bleeding, cold and hungry. But what do they do? They have church and start praying and singing to God! Don’t worry be happy! Happiness wasn’t dependent upon their surroundings (it couldn’t get much worse) but they we filled with praise and joy before the Lord. Their strength wasn’t bolstered by adrenaline but rather by knowing that in their misery was the choice to draw on the Lord’s strength to be happy! So, my sign to you this glorious day and every day is “Happy!” -DAN

No comments: