Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Virus Protection


Early last week I discovered that I acquired a vicious computer virus that presented itself as a virus protection program. This cunning virus scanned my computer effectively infecting my files with a death grip that shut off any avenue to halt its annoying blue shield popping up taunting me! I never found out its name but discovered that many people I knew had been infected as well. I took it in to Office Depot hoping for a rescue mission to only have it returned with condolences and a refund. Art Armstrong told me he had met up with this blue shielded menace and discovered that at the end of the week all was well on the home screen front! So, I held out hope and to my surprise found my demon possessed computer dressed and in its right mind this morning. (Yes, I now have new virus protection installed and hopefully poised for any blue shields!).

Lesson learned: Never be without virus protection that is up to date! Spiritual application: Never forget “a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough (1 Corinthians 5:6).” That is, never forget to keep up to date your Satan protection plan by walking in the light and staying as close to God as you can get (cf. 1 John 1:7; James 4:7-10). And never, ever forget this about the enemy: “…Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14).” That is, spiritual protection is fully aware that evil often presents itself as good. It might look like a protective shield but it’s really weapons of mass destruction!

For the life of me I will never understand what drives these computer hacking dweebs (and yes, I said “dweebs”) to create these destructive programs! What’s the thrill here? I think the answer might be one that explains the connection between computer virus and sin. These hackers are motivated by the same degenerate and malevolent motives Paul describes in Romans 1:29-32. They follow their sinister path because they disregard what is right and delight in others following their path. It’s the demented side of 15 minutes of fame. It is all about telling the story that I’m the one who took the cookie from the cookie jar! Sin is not just about taking a wrong turn or missing the mark but sometimes is about becoming a cancerous agent to spread evil. Yes, “be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).” -DAN

No comments: