Thursday, July 2, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Preacher


On my birthday I received a gift from a creative soul and professional educator who sized me up and selected a book entitled, “Diary of a Wimpy Kid.” Now one could take that personal but knowing the giver I was delighted because to tell the truth I had been eyeing the book every time I passed it on the bookshelves. Author Jeff Kinney has fun with middle schooler Greg Heffley’s journal (it’s not a diary Greg wants us to know and though he told his mother not to buy a book with “diary” on it she did… but it’s not a diary!). I’ve enjoyed the insightful revisiting of sophomoric days gone by and the reminder that no matter what age you are you don’t want anyone to think you’re a wimp or at least that’s what we might think at first.

The irony of the book is that even though Greg tries his best not to have the wimp reputation he ends up sacrificially rescuing his best friend Rowley from the ultimate horror of being shunned by the entire Middle School. It involves touching some discarded cheese but best understood in the universal untouchable status of those who have cooties. Greg spares Rowley by claiming he touched the cheese and thus takes on the sins of Rowley in an act of true friendship.

I pray that in my life I might be the wimpy preacher who in the spirit of Christ takes on the sins of others so they might become more than conquerors. I want the Spirit of Christ that empties self and takes on the form of a servant (Philippians 2:5-11). I want to be bold enough like Paul to be considered the fool for Christ’s sake (1 Corinthians 4:10). I want to be wimpy enough as a preacher to be found nothing more or less than a clay jar filled with the treasure of the gospel (2 Corinthians 4:7). I want my reputation to be assayed by the scales of true friendship (Romans 5:7, 8) not popularity or admiration. I’m ready to go wherever the cross will lead me for it is in weakness not strength that God’s power is delivered (2 Corinthians 12:9)! I guess this is the diary of a wimpy preacher. -DAN

No comments: