Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Singing Bible


Camp is always such a joy for us not only because we are privileged to share a week with young people with eyes brightened by God’s creation but we get to spend time with our out of state grandkids. Our granddaughter Tia is at the age where she is filled with a myriad of questions and overflowing with non-stop requests. One of these requests held the charm of both laughter and rumination. Tia inquired, “Poppy (for some reason this year she chose to call me Poppy instead of Pappy), can you get me a singing Bible?” Now you must understand that I am extremely visual and I immediately picture in my mind a human sized Bible down on one knee with arms spread wide singing, “The B*I*B*L*E, O, that’s the book for me…” Now, of course on second thought I realized that she meant a songbook… but it’s the third thought that crystallized this anecdote in my memory and got me thinking. The Bible really does sing!

It has often psalmed its way into my heart lifting my spirits; commiserating with my misery and reminding me that my doubts are ever embraced by a faith that will not let me go. The Bible has sung to me in moments of reflection when like Moses for the briefest of moments I have glimpsed the glory of my God. My singing Bible has lullabyed me to sleep yet left me in wonder searching my soul. My singing companion has oft left me with the refrain, “Woe, with me for I am a man with unclean lips in the midst of a people with unclean lips!” Yet, it never fails to cheer me up, ground my cynicism and challenge me to sing on key. While I personally sing to the tune of one note selfishness it calls me to harmonize with God’s will and concern for my fellow man.

Yes, my Bible sings with the exuberant and melodic affirmation that Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so! It sings of a homecoming that will right the wrongs and unite the separated. It belts out not a big finish but rather a still small voice that has never failed or left us… but has been singing all along of the wondrous grace of Jesus! It has been an unchained melody that soothes the soul and lifts the eyes toward heaven longing for that great and glorious day when Christ returns! O, yes… O, yes… my Bible sings! -DAN

No comments: