Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Dream In HD


From the insightful Joseph to the wistful Jacob, dreams have been a feature of God’s revelation and invasion into reality. Dreams often are mere outlets for unresolved issues, hidden fears or fantasy conduits to a nonsense world where one suddenly has talents, supernatural abilities or sudden fame. One is either a vivid dreamer or so sporadic that one claims they don’t dream. During a recent dream I had an epiphany that I voiced out loud (in my dream). Struck by the sharp details and vivid colors I exclaimed, “Hey, I’m dreaming in HD!” Yes, you are correct… that’s 10 milligrams short of a full dose of Ambien. However, I believe my dream musing might offer an important insight to the challenge of living a spiritual life in a world driven by technology and information.

The High Definition world advances so fast that a student studying a four year technical degree will find half of what they learn the first year of their studies will be outdated by the third year of their course work. We are now seeing hard drives in computers that have multiples of a terabyte (i.e. 1,000 gigabytes). What’s next? Well, there is petabyte, exabyte, zettabyte and finally yottabyte (I guess if needed they’ll add harpo or groucho bytes)! The point is that the techno world is growing exponentially so that information and possibilities seem endless. It is in this ever changing environment that one stops to take a breath and exhales the resolve, “But it doesn’t hold a candle to the God who created all things and hold all things together.” I may dream of an advanced HD dream world but the true highest definition is not in pixels or new technology but in a God who waits to share heaven with all who will call on His name!

The question is not whether because of the June 12th deadline I’ve gone digital with my dreams but rather will I find higher definition in my faith whether awake or asleep? I hope that in all that I say and in all that I do that I never forget that what centers my life is the God I worship and adore. Oh, I’m appreciative to live in a world that has such advances because I love me some man toys but I hope in this techno-flood that I never forget that the kingdom of God is not a matter of terabytes or HD, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17)! -DAN

No comments: