Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Gobsmacked


Our granddaughter Lilly was in the back in her car seat carrying on a running dialogue with no one in particular. She often says things that tickle us or sometimes leave us genuinely gobsmacked. We overheard her repeating, “I’m not ‘Crazy Lilly!’ I’m not ‘Crazy Lilly!’” Where does she hear these things? I responded quickly with, “No, baby… you’re Lilly Maretha McQuiddy!” To which I added, “Be proud of that name!” And I whispered to myself, “Because I’m proud it is your name!” Art Linkletter reminded us that “Kids say the Darndest Things.” But what he really meant was Psalms 8… From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise. Kids say the most insightful and honest things. They help remind us that little goes unnoticed or without affect on others. They tell it like it is.

Okay… I’ll tell you what gobsmacked means (unless your are British or have British friends… then you may already know). Gobsmacked is my new favorite Briticisms. It means astonished… left speechless! I heard it used by Susan Boyle of Blackburn, West Lothian, Scotland, UK. If you don’t know who Susan Boyle is then you’ve probably just returned from Mars. Susan won the hearts of Britain and subsequently the world (via youtube) when this Scottish matronly spinster walked out onto the “Britain’s Got Talent” stage and wowed everyone with her voice. Suddenly… talent, beauty, grace and the voice of an angel transformed Susan before the audience eyes like Cinderella under the spell of her fairy godmother. The cheers of the crowd and the accolades of the judges left Susan saying she was gobsmacked. When I first heard her I thought she said, “God Smacked.” Which is what I really wanted to talk to you about?

Whether Lilly or Susan leading the way, I find myself more and more God slapped in this life! God continues to hit me up the side of the head with reminders that “this is my Father’s world.” And because it is His world then I should make my journey one that has meaning and purpose in His kingdom. I should make sure that I know that little kids are always listening and let my speech be full of grace. I should never judge a book by its cover and always be on the alert that we entertain angels unaware. I should never forget it really is crazy to be anywhere other than in His light, blessed by His presence. And I should join the festal shout of joy (Psalm 100) proclaiming that My God reigns and His loving kindness abounds! He just leaves me gobsmacked! -DAN

No comments: