Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Old Movies


I love old movies. No, not because I’m getting old and am trying to relive my youth. I’ve always liked old movies. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harold Llyod make me laugh. Unafraid of losing my man card I adore the old musicals. I get a kick out of the wild costumes and the opulent extravagance wrapped in toe tapping tunes. If you’re worried at this point let me ease your mind and say I thoroughly enjoy Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson and James Cagney playing tough gangsters and John Wayne, Gary Cooper, and Joel McCrae shooting straight from the hip at the guys in black hats. I love Hitchcock’s suspense, Orson Well’s tragic tales and the Marx Brother’s chaotic madcap fun. If it’s black and white count me in. That’s why I’m thankful for Turner Classic Movie channel. It feeds my soul… and yes, occasionally lets me relive my youth.

Recently, I saw a movie with Joel McCrae entitled, “Stars in My Crown.” It was made two years before I was born but it reminded me not simply of a time when movies were simple and sweet with a moral but that a good story stands the test of time. I hope you have the good fortune to see the movie someday or read the book by Joe David Brown. The setting is a small Midwest town where civil war veteran Josiah Grey settles to be the local parson. A great scene in the movie is opening day of school and Parson Grey comes to address the students. He asks them, “How many of you faithfully say your evening prayers?” Most of the students raise their hands. “Good” he responds. “But let me tell you a story about when I was riding with the troops in the war. The battle had gotten fierce and I got knocked off my horse and landed in a ditch with an old soldier. He spied my bible sticking up out of my pocket and said to me, ‘I see you are a praying man… that’s good son. But even if you’re a praying man you better keep you backside down or it’ll get shot off!’ So, kids you keep up your prayers but don’t forget to do your part to!” Yup… I love the old movies!

I’ll keep watching Red Skelton, Bob Hope and Danny Kaye and even sing along with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney but I’m going to make sure to keep my backside down and do my part. May God bless us all as we share the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with prayer, passion and participation! -DAN

No comments: