Tuesday, January 13, 2009

LOVE


And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him (1 John 4:16). And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity (Colossians 3:14). Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God (Ephesians 5:1,2). Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8). Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love Never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a). See, from His head, His hands, His feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down; Did e’er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown? (Isaac Watts, “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross”). Love, love, love, love; the gospel in a word is love (Traditional folk tune). For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life (The little gospel – John 3:16).

A long time ago someone said to me… “All you ever preach about is love –how about preaching the whole counsel of God?” I miss the good old days when the cantankerous and heart-shrunk myopic sentinels of rusted faith would spar with me about God’s grace and love! I’m hopeful that the church has acquired a divine sophistication that embraces the wondrous love and grace the cross has afforded us… but I must admit I worry if that distant voice of dissent hasn’t been replaced with apathy and a resounding, “Whatever?” Postmodern, post-Christian, relativistic, pluralistic and universalism philosophies have left us in a world that acrobatically bends over to ensure we all have our own personal truth. We are entitled to champion it. However, only as long as we do no harm to the next man’s right to his own brand of truth. So, preach on brother just don’t say, “Thus saith the Lord!” And don’t suggest that one thing, like love, is the greatest of all!

Okay, let me clear this all up. I have and I always will ONLY preach LOVE. I am constrained by the Love of Christ and I cannot but speak of my one true love and Savior of all. Love is the greatest of all. Love never fails. Love, love, love, love, the gospel in a word is love! -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that picture. :)