Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One of These Things Does Not Belong With the Others


Embedded in my memory are random clips and tattered tales from Sesame Street. It is the result of many hours of TV prison while raising my children with Bert and Ernie. One of these Sesame Streetisms that finds its way to my lips from time to time is “One of these does not belong with the others.” Recently, these words found their way home when I witnessed a young man walking down the street. Typical of what I often see in the South area this young man was sporting a wave cap topped with a Raiders baseball cap turned sideways. He had an oversized bright red leather jacket over what had to be a triple X tee-shirt that draped over his slender frame. This ensemble was accessorized with the suitable bling of oversized chains and emblems. And of course, it was enhanced with sagged pants and tongue flapping sneakers. So, what doesn’t belong with the others you may ask? Not one item… except this young man was walking a dog –a prancing little Pekinese! Need I say more?

Now, before you accuse me of canine profiling or even worse of left-handed racism… let me explain. Yes, I think anyone should be able to walk the dog of their own choosing and that really is my point here! We have expectations of how things group together and what is to be expected but because we all have been created in the image of God we often chose the unexpected. That is… I know grandmothers with tattoos and NFL linebackers that knit. Life is full of this doesn’t seem to belong with the others! Which leads me to what I really wanted to talk about –Sacred Ink?

Okay, you’ve got my attention… what is Sacred Ink? Sacred Ink is the ministry of Patrick Mead of the Rochester Church of Christ. His web site explains: A Tattoo ministry for people who don’t quite “fit in” with other church folks. I grew up in a household where we weren’t allowed to even put bubblegum wipe on tattoos on our bodies… tattoos weren’t exactly an abomination but they weren’t Christian! Now, Patrick and his team are winning souls for Christ through Sacred Ink. Because after all… it’s the Antioch Effect (The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch. Acts 11:26). That is, the church took on the name Christian when it became a body that made no distinctions between Jew and Gentile, bond and free, or male and female but became one man in Christ Jesus (cf. Galatians 3:26-28). In the kingdom of God it’s what is written on the heart that matters, even if it finds its way there through a tattoo! -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just so you know... I'm getting total payback on the "prizon tv." BTW, it's "One of these things is not like the others." I just heard it the other day... case in point.