Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dancing Dinosaurs


In Vermilion Cliffs National Monument along the Southern Utah/Arizona border geologists have determined that what was formerly thought to be potholes formed by erosion are in fact highly concentrated dinosaur footprints and rare tail drag markings. The site seems to indicate that a much sought after oasis roused a certain excitable activity from these prehistoric giants which produced some dinosaur dancing. I’m not sure if we’re talking square or disco dancing but the geologist seem to think these behemoths were bust’n a move Paleolithic style. Now, I don’t know about you but I don’t doubt prehistoric bounce parties existed I’m just a little cynical of science sleuthing that turns potholes into dance floors.

It somewhat reminds me of my oldest sister’s enthusiasm with her first born. My nephew Kenny would take sheets of paper and tear them up and proclaim he had made an airplane or car, or cow, or pig, or house, or you name it… the only problem was that all his paper scraps looked the same. However, my sister thought he was the Da Vinci of paper tearing! She just knew his potholes were dancing dinosaurs! Don’t get me wrong, Kenny was creative and his imagination entertaining but scientist in the next millennium will not dig up his paper creations and label them airplanes or pigs or dancing dinosaurs.

Now, I said all that to say I’m not interested in bashing modern science or pouncing on paleontologists but rather want to heed the personal warning not to engage in my own theological sleuthing that turns my think so into a thus saith the Lord. I long for the wisdom that comes from heaven that is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere (James 3:17). I want to see with eyes that are fresh and unfettered by prejudice or preconceived notions of how I think it ought to be. I want to hear God’s word so that I am uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom I must give account (Hebrews 4:13). I don’t want to be dancing with dinosaurs when I should be marching to Zion. And I desire to be free from the noise of the crowd so that I only hear Jesus! That’s the tune I want to dance to! -DAN

No comments: