Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What Kind of Pilot?


In 1993 on the first night I was scheduled to preach I kept repeating to myself the cliché K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Son). My first time to speak to a Russian audience with an interpreter was a challenge to be persuasive but also to be understandable. At first it was a bit like an old car sputtering at a stop light but I finally felt I had their attention and a good rhythm of speaking that made it easy for Serge to interpret. But that all came to a squealing halt when I smiling waited for Serge after I proclaimed, “Jesus was King of kings who now rules over a kingdom not determined by physical boundaries but a spiritual kingdom that unites Russians, Americans and all people.” That would have been fine but then I added, “Just as Jesus said to Pilate…” Serge instantly turned to me and said, “What kind of pilot?” I did my best to quickly explain that Pilate was a Roman ruler who sentenced Jesus to the cross but Serge still looked puzzled. We went on but I thought then and I still continue to think –what a great question!

What kind is truly a question we ought to ask ourselves more often. Paul wanted the Corinthian brethren to examine themselves (2 Corinthians 13:5) to articulate what kind of Christ connection they had. What kind of Christian are you? That may be a painful question but then again it may force us to look honestly at our lives. In a world crowded with ideas and politically correct positions it seems appropriate that one stop and inventory who they are… what kind of person has one become. This is more than if I wasn’t me… would I like me? It’s about honest scrutiny of our faith. Have we put our faith in Christ or the world… in our Maker or our own character? Such leads us beyond Socrates “the unexamined life is not worth living.” Spiritual examination is not a progress report but a confession of a daily need to keep our eyes on the pilot of our lives, Jesus who not only redeems us but refines us!

Who pilots you? He’s looking for a certain kind of passenger… those who want to reflect His image and transform into His body. What kind of pilot is He? The kind that never fails you nor leaves you… the kind that makes promises that won’t be broken and His supreme promise is that He is your advocate! -DAN

No comments: