Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Million Reasons

I know you rather not hear this but Pam and I tell each other that we love one another quite often. Some may attribute it to an overactive thyroid producing too much love insecurity and some may roll their eyes and moan, “T.M.I!” (For those of you who didn’t suffer through teenagers that stands for “too much information”). None-the-less, this past Sunday I informed my lovely wife that I loved her for a million reasons. Little did I think she would put my feet to the fire and ask me to list said devotion! So, for the next 25 miles of our journey to church I began to list the reasons. When she stopped at Starbucks for her “Sunday Morning Treat” I had reached number 70. When she returned to the car after retrieving her caramel frappuccino light, extra caramel, no whip… I said, “Number 999,999 -because you are the lyrics to my music… and 1,000,000 because your kisses are sweeter than the morning light that reveals that one more day God has blessed me to wake by your side!” (Yes, insert gagging sound here and voice over disclaimer that some facts and details may have been altered for dramatic enhancement). However, this unadulterated fact goes uncontested… it is hard to articulate a million reasons for anything and is best reserved for hyperbole and romantic poetic license.

Not learning my lesson, I tell God quite often I love Him! I love Him for a million reasons… and if He holds my feet to the fire to list said devotion I hope He stops at heaven’s Starbucks for a treat! Seriously though, I have challenged myself in my prayer life to try to articulate to my heavenly Father the million reasons I love Him. I figure at the rate I’m going it will only take me into the next millennium to get to the last reason. I pray that it will be words I speak with wings, a harp and a crown… and that I vow to list them again and again as I join in the new song that hails the Lamb and lauds the Creator and Sustainer of all things!

At this point you’ve probably grumbled a few times under your breath that this is silly nonsense from a silly source… and I will freely admit to this being romantically charged, poetically driven and idealistically based. However, I would implore you on some occasion to engage in such unrestrained love and praise that you experience a little heaven, “Day and night they never stop saying: Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come (Revelation 4:8).” Number one… I love you LORD because…Come on fill in a million blanks! -DAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea about journaling the million reasons you love God. What a way to start the day off right - being reminded of how marvelous our Creator is. Yeah... could have done without the mushy part (gag). :) Seriously though, I am thankful that you love Pam... but maybe more thankful that she loves your red-headed (meaning stuborn and ornery) butt back!

Love ya dad!