Monday, July 12, 2010

Comfort


A new trend in the restaurant business is to change one’s regional and somewhat pretentious cuisine to comfort food. You know… mom’s cooking (meatloaf, mac and cheese, dumplings and the like). Comfort is from the Latin confortare meaning to strengthen much. That is, comfort implies that life is often interrupted with times of weakness and trouble. When we were children our comfort was found in blankies and sucking thumbs (or the digit of choice) but as adults the list has grown exponentially including food, hobbies, shopping, reading, entertainment media and anything that will take us away from the pain, problem or irritant that has sapped our strength and disrupted the peace. We take solace in a Savior who promises a Comforter/Counselor who provides truth, peace and comfort. The Spirit filled and led life enables faith and nurtures trust in God’s providence and watchcare. We bask in God’s grace that nudges us under the protection of His wings where we feel safe and comforted.

I love what Psalm 119:50 says about comfort, "My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise renews my life." If you recall, Psalm 119 is an acrostic that use the Hebrew alphabet to create 22 tributes to the blessing and delight of God’s Word and His Law. Thus, it is filled with various forms and synonyms for God’s Law and His will for mankind. One important (and comforting) way to view God’s will is as "promise." It truly renews life because His promises (and His promises alone) are sure and immutable. His promise is life… Life in His Son! Several verses later the Psalmist says, "Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge." I love the idea of God’s voice evidenced in all He has decreed from creation to Scripture is the soundtrack to my life wherever I find myself. That is, God is the music of my life.

Bill Cosby (the theologian of my childhood) had a bit that he did about leaving a horror movie late at night. He had to cross the unlighted 9th Street Bridge to get home. Cosby says he was okay as long as he had his music because as everyone knows monsters can not get you if you are humming or singing. I believe that as long as God is my song no power, person (or monster) can get me! The God of all comfort continues to comfort me no matter what monsters come my way. Jesus as the bread of life is truly my comfort food and I have a peace that surpasses all understanding that guards my heart day and night. -DAN

No comments: