Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You Can't Attend Our Church


This past holiday weekend Pam and I enjoyed the beauty of the Oregon Coast and for a little while the joy of our Missouri grandkids (O, yeah… and their parents too). Caelleb is always full of energy and Trystyn at four months has a win your heart smile and Tia is well… Tia. She’s a juggernaut karaoke tornado gale force wind of non-stop imagination and incessant verbiage but I love her to bits. But she DOES go on. On our way to lunch she asked me if I could clap. Ever so helpful I responded, “I miss that day at school and I didn’t learn how to clap.” “Yes, you did Pappy… show me how you clap.” I start snapping my fingers… she lets out a sigh and says, “That’s snapping.” I flap my hands in the air. She sighs and narrowing her eyes says, “If you can’t clap then you can’t attend our church!” Membership into the kingdom is getting tougher and tougher these days!

Tia as she often does unwittingly gets me thinking about the way we see the world and experience our place in it. I think our Lord’s prompting to be more child-like in how we view the kingdom is an exhortation to simplify things… well, at least in part. Children reduce the complex or inflated precepts to their most basic application. They want to know why but don’t question the reality of what is to be done. That is, they may want you to give them motive but never demand more choices or alternatives. If we clap in children’s church then clapping must be important. No discussion about is sacred music melody driven or does Psalm 47 give our youth license to jazz up the service with their syncopated hand popping camp nonsense? It’s eyes that trust, hearts that are open and imaginations still fertile and receptive.

You see… Tia wants Pappy to know that if you want to serve the Lord and be filled with praise then you need to get with the program and learn how to clap. You need to follow the leader… hold hands while you cross the road and sit in your square quietly until you hear directions. In short, take God at His word and stop fussing and fighting over what He didn’t say or what you thought He said and just praise the Lord! And O yeah, learn to clap! -DAN

No comments: