Monday, March 22, 2010

Christian Open The Door


Last Sunday morning as I walked out into the lobby I heard Wanda Headrick say, “Christian, open the door.” At first I thought it was directed to me and a sharp-witted exhortation referencing Revelation 3:20. You know… Preacher, practice what you preach by leading the way to letting Jesus into your life so that His presence is more than words in a homily but rather tangible visible action in your life! Then, I saw her great-grandson, Christian, head over to the door to open it. I still like my version of “Christian, open the door.”

I believe that there are two important lessons in my fantasy interpretation of the conversation I overheard: 1) It is always important to know the context, setting and characters involved in any interpretation of dialogue; and 2) The bigger context of our lives determines how we perceive the world around us. Now, the first lesson is one that you hear me say a lot… context, context and context. When we eavesdrop on the Bible we are bound to make it say something other than intended if we don’t keep it in context. Sometimes it is because we have a myopic and predetermined view of Scripture, scoping it out with a fine tooth comb so we can supply our personal arsenal of Holy Spirit sanctioned directives that back up our point. Often called proof-texting we create a book, chapter and verse brief sure to stand up in any court of opinion. The problem is that we have Chubby Checkered the Word of God (i.e. as Peter warns “twisted it to our own destruction” 2 Peter 3:16). And sometimes our twisting is because we’ve made the text distorted because we have taken the incidental and made it the main point! Ironically, this is what Jesus chides the Pharisees about again and again. Jesus humorous picture is one finds himself phobic about picking out gnats in their food while they gobble down a side of camel (Matthew 23:24).

The second point however, is the one that is often both blessing and curse. Yet, I am glad that there is a presiding narrative that guides my life. That is, that I see things, hear things and feel things via a Christ centered vision. I know that “Christian” is a name but I’m glad I hear it first as descriptive of my faith and those that share it. Yes, my faith bias sometimes determines how I see or feel about something and I often misunderstand. However, I believe that bias should… no, must guide me to the most positive interpretation of any given situation. So, I say, “Christian, open the door!” And may God bless every opportunity that is afforded by letting Christ come into your life as Lord, companion and advocate! -DAN

No comments: