Monday, November 16, 2009

Baby Pew


Most Sunday mornings I’m sitting in the baby pew… no, that has nothing to do with the olfactory senses or a miniature version of a pew –rather, it is a reference to a gaggle of toddlers that are lovingly held by their relatives and friends that surround me. These fresh eyes see the world of worship in an interesting way. They tilt their heads in curiosity while their loved ones belt out hymns of praise and in frustration squirm while communion emblems are cautiously circumvented around them as the juice and crackers are being passed down the row. Their first vocal response in worship is an echo “amen” they heard. They can’t figure out why they are asked to be quiet or why the adults seem to put their heads down and pretend they’re asleep only to be awakened by an “amen.” They can’t understand for a moment why adults can’t see that pews are great for jumping, crawling under and drawing on. They have no patience whatsoever for songs books staying in the rack and are completely baffled why attendance cards should not be eaten. They’re happy however that it seems they share their adult wards assurance that once the sermon starts it time for a nap. Yes, I’ve learned much from the baby pew about the nature of worship!

So, what have these babes in arms taught you Preacher McWitty? I’m glad you asked because they’ve taught me much. First, they have reminded me that Jesus said of them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these (Matthew 19:14).” The kingdom of heaven invades our lives to restore a child’s world that is driven by imagination and curiosity. In the innocent eyes of youth is reflected the longing for knowledge and the joy of discovery. A child leads the way because such are not jaded by past failure or intimidated by the unknown future. Babes in arms are armed to tackle any task because they trust they will be protected by those who love them. My child like prayer is for the Lord to revive in me a daily longing to know Him and serve Him. My petition humbly submits that I oft fail because I haven’t come to the task with fresh eyes… a child’s eyes that are filled with imagination and curiosity.

So, if you see me on the pew playing with my young mentors be assured I’m learning… learning to see God and His people with fresh eyes. Learning to trust and obey because it’s fun and never boring on the baby pew! -DAN

2 comments:

Mike Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Anderson said...

Great post Dan! May God help us all to be more childlike...