Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jocundity

If as a child you read the encyclopedia or picked up the dictionary for fun most thought you were on your way to being a card carrying member of NAGOA (Nerds and Geeks of America). Your were quickly issued a pair thick black plastic glasses, a pocket protector and a tube of Clearasil. But now in the Post Bill Gates era it is okay to mention in mixed company (i.e. Geeks and Regular folks) that you are fascinated by the ever expanding universe of knowledge and lexographic nuances of written communication (which is nerdese for, “I like exploring the dictionary”). So, for fun I have been known to open the dictionary to peruse the often overlooked vocabulary that patiently waits for its turn. My word for this week is “jocundity.” A word that means to speak or act in a light-hearted or merry way. I don’t know about you, but my recession, troubled world could use a little jocundity!

Now don’t get me wrong… I don’t want to marginalize problems or mask them with a frivolous devil-may-care attitude. I just think that the life that knows a peace that surpasses all understanding should be able to rejoice in the Lord always! That Christian joy is too easily abandoned for somber brow-furled spiritual cynicism. I think Christians should have eyes that sparkle with the assurance of their faith and the joy of salvation. I think a little spiritual jocundity is the absolute and most resolute way to preach the gospel. Seated with Christ Jesus in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 2:6) puts a smile on one’s face and permeates one’s soul with what the Beach Boys call “good vibrations.”

Now, I said all of that to say this, “God loves the playful, the spirit of jocundity is heaven sent.” Jesus had some not so cheerful disciples who were overwhelmed with crowd management and church decorum, so they rebuked people who brought children to be blessed by Jesus touch (Matthew 19:13-15). Jesus in turn rebuked them because they failed to see that the jocundity of youth belongs in the Kingdom of God! When life in the Son becomes too dour and grim let your inner-child out and sing, “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands…” Let go and answer the delightful musical question, “I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart –WHERE? Yes, down in my heart to stay! -DAN

No comments: