Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I Cry Out!


Christian musician, Craig Musseau, wrote the stirring song that our youth often sing. It begins, “I cry out, for your hand of mercy to heal me.” We’ve all been there emotionally, physically and spiritually. It’s all too much and from somewhere deep within we cry out for God’s healing touch! Last Monday was a rollercoaster ride… Pam and I were off and running until it caught up with us. First we heard that Jim Spencer who we were laughing with and praying with Sunday evening had passed away. Then finally another call catches up with us to let us know our little Lilly was in emergency on IV’s and oxygen so we rushed to emergency. Our unhappy redhead was glassy eyed while mom and dad stroked her lovingly assuring their big girl all would be okay! A battery of tests, x-rays and fluids drawn were accompanied by the sound that breaks even the toughest among us hearts… a child’s cry! Pneumonia discovered… but with the fever down and fluids up and those awful tubes and needles gone Lilly finally smiled. And then she said the words that always fill my heart, “Pappy.” For several hours Lilly’s Pappy had been crying out to God for his hand of mercy to heal her!

The title of Craig Musseau’s song is not “I Cry Out.” It is, “Good to Me.” The refrain of the song affirms that God has been good to him… that God is good! Here’s the rest of the story I need to tell you… You see while I waited patiently by Lilly’s bedside holding her hand I kept fighting off the story that had been told to me the day before. Someone had told me about a little girl in the very hospital we were in who had come in with pneumonia and they were unable to stop the damage it made to her lungs and the child died. Now, my granddaughter lay in a bed fighting against the ravages of pneumonia. I’ve not prayed and promised and petition so long and tear filled with my God in a long time. Lilly is getting better… my God is good… but what about the family that lost their precious little one? Is God just good to a few?

That’s a hard question. Many shout it away with resounding faith that testifies to the ever present God of comfort who rescued them even in the valley of death. Yes, our God never fails but life and the consequences of fallen mankind often rip away from us what is most precious. In this life tragedy will sometimes prevail but God who feels its weight stands by waiting to offer His greatest gift… His presence! I’ll keep praying for Lilly and each prayer will include a whispered ache of sorrow and a hope for comfort for the family who lost their little girl! I’ll do this because… my God is good! -DAN

No comments: